Friday, May 19, 2006

comments from the computer

so the other day joe had sent me this link.

it's about a computer that saves the world from a boring master's thesis.

my question: will adding a car chase to my thesis on neutron stars help to involve the reader in my work? and then, how does one add a car chase to a thesis on neutron stars? this will take some thinking.

at anyrate, this is what my computer thought of something i had written last summer:




in case you can't make out the web-cam picture of my paper, the computer decided to call my section "Observations and Analysis", "stupid Observations and Analysis".

this is not a good sign...

somehow the word "stupid" was put into my ps file of a lightcurve and it only showed up when i put this picture in a latex file.
or: blah blah blah, my computer thought the section was stupid.

in knitting news: i got the new interweave and i'm itching to make the icarus shawl. yum yum yum.

in other news: go oilers!!!

7 Comments:

At 20/5/06 06:11, Blogger ramblingblogger said...

That's crazy!! Are you sure? Cause this was posted late at night, and the last I heard of you there was talk of beer.... ;)

 
At 20/5/06 09:09, Blogger Princess Tuborg said...

i sure am sure! ask gil. he was the one that helped me figure out where the "stupid" was.

laughing at me the whole time.

 
At 20/5/06 16:33, Blogger daavid said...

This happens all the time. When I was writing my undergrad thesis my computer decided, just like that, to replace all my graphs with big red "X"s. You must imagine how pleased I was with it.

Maybe a car chase isn't sucha good idea, but how about presenting your work as a murder mystery, something like: "...there's something about the collapse of star "X" that puzzles me, I have the feeling that star "Y" is somehow involved."

 
At 20/5/06 22:47, Blogger Joe said...

If you want to stay current, make it like the Da Vinci Code, except you will base it on the Schrödinger equation.

 
At 21/5/06 19:51, Blogger Princess Tuborg said...

i heard there was a car chase in the da vinci code.

 
At 22/5/06 05:44, Blogger ramblingblogger said...

Did i tell you about the time I went to a conference and checked my presentation one last time, just in case... only to find that because of a missing font or something, all my equations had turned into relations between skulls and cross-bones, flags and candles!! You should have pirates! Princess Tuborg could have been the name of a pirate ship!!

Ok I'm being silly now. feeling sick about tomorrow. Should shower and then work. Talk to you guys soon.

 
At 22/5/06 14:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true! I saw it!!!! I still think someone made your computer call you stupid, maybe you should take a closer look at the people in your office... Btw, was your drawer locked? Go Oilers!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home